Saturday, November 12, 2011

You Win A Lawsuit, But Where Is Your Money?

You get injured or otherwise have damages coming to you from a lawsuit. You have been through the wringer just to get to the point of the lawsuit and then the trial. And then you win and have been awarded a large judgment. That is wonderful! But what is not so wonderful is that it takes forever to actually see the money, or it comes to you in small increments. Meanwhile, you have had to pay for all kinds of doctors bills or repairs and maybe you can't even work. You are out of money! What do you do?

You could try to take out a loan or borrow from friends or family. But you may not have that option.  There are companies that give lawsuit cash advances--they go ahead and pay you and then they get reimbursed when your money finally comes in. I don't know the details about such transactions, and what the associated fees may be. I don't even know if it is a good idea to get one of these advances--I just know they exist.

The companies that offer  lawsuit cash advances advertise on TV and such, appealing to those who may not have savings. Can you imagine going through an accident or a medical malpractice injury, and then being on the verge of losing your house or otherwise  being destitute? I guess a fair number of people find themselves in similar situaitons.

I know I worry about having enough money, and I haven't had a serious injury or accident. If something like that happened to me, I might check into one of the lawsuit cash advances just to find out the details.  The stress of worrying about money and getting by would add stress to whatever negative situation you are in. I hope to never be in such a situation. But accidents and injuries do happen unfortunately.

No comments: