Sunday, November 6, 2011

Going Back To School Expenses

One of my more interesting mystery shops lately involved dental assisting schools. I had to contact a couple of different schools and pretend that I was interested in going back to school and switching careers. The type of schools I was to shop were of the "career college" ilk--those that you frequently see advertise practical type degrees that you can earn in a year or two. So I had to come up with a reasonable explanation that why all of a sudden I wanted to change course 180 and become a dental assistant.

I thought I was pretty convincing. My industry, and therefore my company, are going downhill because of the economy, and I need to be trained in a field that will have demand in the future. So dental assisting makes perfect sense!

If  I really needed to do that, I think it would actually be a good idea. So I went through the whole rigamarole, and learned about the schedules, fees, courses, and most importantly, how well the school administrators handled my inquiry.

One of the things I thought interesting is that students need to wear scrubs to class. http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/. I don't know, but am guessing, that that is to get the students in the right frame of mind. Which makes sense.

For such short degree programs, the students can rack up some debt. But at least they have a good chance of finding a job quickly to pay it off. Some things they can do to help keep costs down are look for used textbooks and find scrubs on sale. Every little bit helps!

No comments: