Thursday, June 3, 2010

Giving Used Gift Cards??? Puhleeze!

I know people regift, and I am torn about the practice. If the gift is something obviously generic, but yet of value, it may be OK to regift. But if someone has spent time and money, picking out the perfect gift for you, I don't think that is OK. I think it is hurtful to the giver. That aside, regifting a used gift card is lower than low. I went out to lunch with a teacher friend of mine, and she said she had gotten a gift card to the restaurant from one of her students. She asked the waiter if he could check on the balance, before we used it. The waiter came back and said there was a zero balance on the card. I was shocked. My friend said it has happened to her many times before. Her students' parents will give her used gift cards, sometimes with a low or zero balance. I am sorry--but that is just unacceptable. What are you thinking????

No comments: