Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I Got A Speeding Ticket!

I went on vacation recently--drove about 10 hours north to visit my favorite relatives That is a long drive for me, and I tend to have a lead foot, so I bet you can guess what happened. I didn't want to take 10 hours to get there, and I was in a hurry, and I pushed the envelope.
It was the 4th of July weekend, and there were state troopers everywhere. That made me nervous, so I was pushing the envelope, while still keeping an eye on my speedometer. I am not so stupid to speed when Smoky is out there in force. My car insurance rates had just gone down, and I didn't want to do anything to make them go back up.
Well, I was going downhill, around a curve, and trying to pass a van that was keeping pace with me. You know the type? They won't let you pass them. So I might have been going a tad fast. But it couldn't have been for more than a few seconds, and it couldn't have been 20 miles over the speed limit, like the trooper said.

Well, I saw the car pull out of the median with the blue lights flashing. Surely, it couldn't be me, I thought. Well, soon enough I realized it was. I pulled over. I had a moment of panic when I realized I did not have my car insurance card with me. I was driving a rental car, and my card was in my glove box in my car, which was in the shop. I told him the truth about my car insurance card , and luckily he didn't seem to think it was a big deal. I got a ticket, and the fine wasn't too bad. I just hope my rates don't go up, but I am sure they will.

No comments: