Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What Price Mystery Shopping

I do have to say I did take a risky assignment the other day. The company wanted me to evaluate the local bus station. Not only that, but they wanted me to do it late at night! I was rightfully hesitant in taking the assignment. The station is not a place you really want to go, particularly "after hours." But they were offering a pretty good fee to do it, and you could also get reimbursed for a lovely meal there.

I drove by the day before to figure out where to park. I couldn't believe I was doing this! It made me feel better when I noticed the station had its own small parking lot. At least I could park near the door and it wouldn't take long to get in the front door.

The next night I drove down at the appointed hour and booked a ticket to a nearby small town. It was as bad as I expected. All kinds of unsavory characters. Craziness. People talking to themselves. I am not a snob, but it is the kind of place where you fear for your safety. I didn't even notice a security guard there. Not good. I made notes that I would later put in my report.

I went in to buy my meal. I really didn't want to eat in there, as there was another man talking to himself nearby. But I had to according to my mystery shopping agreement. The cook behind the counter was the best part of the evening. He smiled and took time to get me what I wanted. He scored high points.

I guess it is good that the company hired a mystery shopper. Would I recommend it to others, I was asked. No. There are a lot of improvements that need to be made. I hope they make them. It would be good if bus companies could not only be a cheap, but safe alternative for people looking for transportation. I hurried out to my car and got in, glad I was not leaving on a bus to anywhere.

No comments: