Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Starting To Invest On My Own

I have two 401Ks, one from my previous job and another at my present job. So, I have been investing in a sense, but with mutual funds it seems as if you are investing at arm's length.

I recently opened a sharebuilder account and have been buying some stock here and there. Nothing to write home about, but I have had fun researching the stock and buying investments on my own. Some of what I buy might be considered penny stocks. I heard a lot about penny stocks when I worked at the business school, but to be honest, I didn't pay attention to the topic as well as I should have.

Apparently, the definition of a penny stock is a stock that is under $5 per share or even $1 per share. And it doesn't sound like they are traded on the stock exchange. I have one stock in my portfolio that is currently 69 cents a share (sounds like one of the penny stocks for sure!) and another that is $1.98 per share (another good candidate). But they are traded on the exchange, so maybe they are not???

Anyway, I have been having fun trying my hand at it, and hopefully my nestegg will grow. I need that to happen for sure!

No comments: