Friday, January 11, 2008

Security Breach at Election Commission in Nashville

Many of us have been hearing the horrors of identity theft for sometime and how prevalent it has become. We in Nashville now have an additional concern: There was a security breach recently at the Davidson County Election Commission when a couple of laptops were stolen. More than 300,000 of us have been affected. They think our names, addresses, and full social security numbers have been stolen by an unauthorized person.

My first reaction was one of helplessness. What in the world can I do about this? My second reaction was, well if they got 300,000 files, with my mixed up finances, I don't think identity thieves would pick me out of the pile--that there would be riper plums to pick! But you can never be sure of that--thieves might be able to make hay with anyone's ID.

Of course, there is also concern about voter fraud, particularly in this election season.

But Nashville has stepped up and is taking measures to help us. The gov. has alerted the credit bureaus about the situation and is providing free identity theft protection. We can renew for a second year at a big discount from the regular rate.

I am sorry this happened but I am glad that Nashville responded so well so quickly.

No comments: