Sunday, October 14, 2007

Questions to Ask Before Making a Purchase

Last week was a mixed bad week for me. I paid off a few small loans (yay me!) but didn't pay attention to my checking account and ended up bouncing some transactions. Not really bouncing, as my bank pays my overdrafts, but still sticks me with NSF fees. I wasn't being vigil about my account, and it happened again. Anytime I am not vigil, this happens. All I had to do was deposit $50 in my account and there would have been no NSF fees. Jeez.

I read in the local paper not along ago some tips about making purchases. The paper has a column entitled "Ms. Cheap," and she always has some good hints about how to save money and get free items.

Quoting another writer, Mary Hunt, Ms. Cheap listed these questions to ask yourself before opening your wallet:

1) Do I need it really?
2) Could this be considered by any reasonable person to be a planned purchase?
3) Will this make my life better or add to the clutter and chaos?
4) Don't I already have something that will do just as well?
5) Do I have the cash to pay for it right now?
6) If I walk away from this purchase, how will I feel a month from now?
7) Am I willing to sleep on my decision for 48 hours?

Good advice, I think. I think I will pay particular attention to # 6 and 7.

No comments: