Wednesday, September 5, 2007

I did a bad, bad thing

I did a bad, bad thing, but for a good reason. I submitted a letter today, saying I needed to make a hardship withdrawal from my 401K for tuition and tuition-related expenses. Yes, I know it is stupid, because I have to pay a 20 percent penalty and 10 percent tax on it.

But there is really no other way for me to pay the expenses. If there were, I wouldn't touch it. I took this out of my small 401K at my new company. I would never touch my big 401K at my old company, the fund that is doing so well. So I feel better about that. My big retirement fund is actually doing well.

My justification is that I really, really need the money and I have no other way to pay the expenses. Also, I don't have to worry about the money every single day. Worrying like I have been doing can't be good for me.

So now I can rest easy. I can pay for my education.

And when I graduate, I can start putting a whole lot of money into my new 401K.

And I can feel good that I still have a really good 401K balance in my other fund.

So, maybe it is not so bad??

No comments: