Sunday, August 26, 2007

Budget Busters

I am so tired of living with debt. I would be out of debt now, but decided to go to law school, and that has prevented me from paying off my debt that I could have otherwise. I don't have regrets about law school, but I do have regrets about the debt, which started long before I started school.

I can't wait to pay it off. That won't be this year, my last year in school. It could be the year after though, depending on how hard I hit it. I want to hit it hard.

I found a short article on the Web the other day, compiled by Bank.rate. Titled "6 Budget Bombs," it talked about the things that can sabotage your budget. Do any of these resonate with you?

1) Cut out all the fun stuff. I guess this one speaks for itself. Too much fun stuff can be fatal to your budget. Being in law school, I don't have much time for fun stuff, but I do like to eat out. Being single, that is an easy way to get together with people. But when you do it multiple times a week, it wreaks havoc.

2) Be hit or miss with savings. Guilty!

3) Overuse debit card. Guilty! There is nothing worse than overdrafting using a debit card. I have not gotten in the habit of writing down the amounts like checks.

4) Pay only the minimum on cards. Guilty! That will definitely end after I get out of school though.

5) Live without emergency savings. Guilty! Having a good emergency fund is more important to me now that I have changed jobs and don't have sick days. My previous job had a much better safety net, with sick days and short and long term disability, none of which I have now.

6) Spend more than you earn! Guilty! Even though I have gotten better at this in the last couple of years, and will continue to get even better with it.

No comments: